Thursday, September 17, 2009

A day in the life...

Today was a doozy-- one that shall be recorded as a day of firsts-- both good and bad.

The morning started rough when Madison woke at 5am and instead of cuddling and falling back to sleep, she stayed wide awake until exhaustion set in around 7:30am.

After a nap and a Target run (I'm taking a break from WalMart given my experience yesterday), I set in to try my hand a making strawberry jam. (For those who don't know, which was me until this morning, jam has smaller chunks of fruit than preserves.) Success! I made a dozen jars, all tasted marvelous and are jelling just like the instructions said. The only issue is getting Rob to share... I took some by the pharmacy this afternoon at which time he informed me that we would not be giving any as Christmas gifts, nor are we taking any to tailgate this weekend. Sorry Hackberry HightTiders.

Ok, so back to the rest of the day. Rob's parents came by around lunch, and in Madison's excitement to see them, she forgot that 9 months olds really don't have the balance yet to stand and clap at the same time. As this cruel reality set in, she proceeded to fall backwards pulling a large toy over on top of her. The result was a cut and bump in the corner of her left eye-- her first real booboo. She, of course was back up playing in no time, but I'm afraid she'll wake up in the morning with a nice shiner.

So just when all is calm, I have dinner in the oven, the kitchen cleaned from the strawberry explosion, and I'm sitting in the floor trying to read the day's mail, I hear a knock at the back door.

To my surprise, when I go to answer, I am met by a female police officer.
OFFICER: "Is everything ok here?"
ME: "Um, yes, Ma'am"
OFFICER: "Well, we just got a 911 hang-up call from this address"
ME: (still stunned that there is an officer at my door I pause for a long while)
OFFICER:"Do you have a small child that might have made the call?"
ME: (realizing I have NO idea WHERE the phone IS) "yes, ma'am. I have a 9-month-old and I bet she has been playing with the phone."
OFFICER: "well ok, have a good day"

I immediately close the door and start a frantic search for the phone...which I find, still on, under the blue chair.

It's now 9pm and I'm happy to say that the last three hours have been uneventful. After getting her belly full of string cheese, mandarin oranges and meat sticks, Madison took her bath and fell sound asleep. Maybe tomorrow she'll sleep until 6am!!

No comments: